Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Labrador boy died waiting for search and rescue that never came; answers expected this week



I posed the following question today (Feb. 7th) in the House of Commons.



Mr. Speaker, more questions are being raised about the efforts to find the 14-year-old boy from Makkovik, Labrador, who died last week after getting lost on his snowmobile.



Burton Winters died while waiting for search and rescue that never came.



A private helicopter joined in the search the day after the teen disappeared.



A Canadian Forces search and rescue aircraft was not sent out for a full two days.



Mr. Speaker, the family of Burton Winters has a simple question: What took the military so long to get off the ground.



And when will we know the whole story?



Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence: Mr. Speaker, first, let me say that we are deeply saddened by the tragic death of Burton Winters and our condolences go out to the young man's family, certainly his friends, and his entire community.



With respect to when we will have more answers, I have asked the Chief of Defence Staff, and I met with him this morning, to have a full investigation into all the circumstances around this tragic death.



We should have answers this week.



3 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...

This was such a tragedy. The SAR should take some resposiblity in not responding in a timely manner.

Anonymous said...

Maybe we should sue the Government of canada when we lose loved ones to this "failure". It is time they started to look after Canadians instead of themselves!!

Joanne said...

Really good job. Mckay can get a seach and rescue helicopter and this boy can't. Way to go to our crap for government
Joanne Freeman