'My anchor is down and I'll never leave Bay L'Argent'

SCHRUNCHINS

A daily taste of Newfoundlandia


“Dear Sir—This problem of education that is facing the people of the surrounding communities today is something that should be considered. It appears to be the first beginning of centralization, to get the children to move first, then the parents will follow. How many people raising a family today, some in their twenties, some in the thirties and forties, and even some like myself in their sixties, would want to sacrifice what they worked a lifetime for and move to some other place where they would not have as much? Well Sir, I can only speak for myself, but my anchor is down and I’ll never leave Bay L’Argent, not even as long as I can see one more home with light in the window by night. Signed, Citizen

Burin Peninsula Post, September 1970


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The story of Samantha Walsh

Nov. 7th, Telegram letter to the editor

SEA-NL calls on federal Fisheries Minister to reverse decision to limit increase to 2021 northern shrimp quota